This Trangia recipe for creamy smoked sausage & mushroom gnocchi takes just minutes to cook but tastes delicious. It is far more than the sum of its parts.
Gnocchi are Italian potato dumplings that can be cooked in the exact same ways as pasta. Gnocchi is really quick to cook, simply simmer the dumplings in boiling water for 3 minutes.
Gnocchi is an excellent choice of camping food, it’s healthy, versatile and cooks far quicker and easier than potatoes do. It also makes a nice change from pasta or rice.
My creamy smoked sausage & mushroom gnocchi recipe can be used as a rough guide. You could replace the sausage with bacon and the mushrooms with leek or mix it up totally by using a can of chopped tomatoes instead of double cream.
You could also add an Italian hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Pecorino to the recipe.
With gnocchi, the options are almost endless and, as always, it is worth experimenting to suit your own tastes with seasonal ingredients.
Creamy Smoked Sausage Gnocchi Recipe
- 200 g gnocchi
- ½ smoked sausage
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil or butter
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp Italian herbs
- 50ml double cream
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the gnocchi reduce to a simmer.200 g gnocchi
- Slice the smoked sausage into discs, slice the mushrooms and chop the garlic.
- Once the gnocchi is floating remove from the heat.
- In the second pan, fry the smoked sausage and mushrooms in oil or butter.½ smoked sausage, 1 tsp olive oil or butter, 6 mushrooms
- Add chopped garlic to the pan.1 clove garlic
- Add the drained gnocchi to the sausage and mushrooms with a tablespoon of the gnocchi water.
- Add the mixed Italian herbs. Oregano would also work.½ tsp Italian herbs
- Stir in the double cream and simmer until slightly thickened.50ml double cream