Creating camping recipes and meal ideas for camp cooking is one of my most favourite things to do.
Camp cooking can take a bit longer than cooking at home but using a little bit of ingenuity can get great results. It takes a bit more effort to cook a camp stove meal but the end results are always worth it.
I am not a fan of convenience or ready-made camping meals. If you are out all day burning energy then your body will benefit more from a freshly-cooked, well balanced meal. You cannot really go wrong with fresh, local ingredients cooked in simple ways.
I think meals always taste better when I cook them outdoors. Here are some of the recipes I’ve been cooking on recent camping trips.
- Dutch Oven Caprese ChickenChicken, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and mozzarella cooked over a campfire in a Dutch Oven lid.
- Campfire Pizza – Greek Yogurt Pizza Dough RecipeFresh pizza made from a yoghurt and flour base. Cooked in a Dutch Oven over an open fire.
- Dutch Oven Chips / French FriesCooking ready-made oven chips in a Dutch Oven over a campfire. Perfect with a steak or pizza.
- Griddled Halloumi & Mango SalsaA simple, quick summer or picnic lunch. Fried halloumi with a sweet a& sour mango salsa.
- Feta, Tomato & Spring Onion SaladSalad doesn’t have to be boring. Feta cheese with tomatoes and spring onion.
- Lemon Chicken OrzoA super easy and delicious one-pot trangia meal with chicken, red peppers, lemon juice & orzo pasta.
- Marmite PorridgeI like salty porridge. I like Marmite. I’ve created a Frankenstein’s monster of a breakfast.