I love the salty/sweet mix of cheese & fruit. Feta & tomato salad, feta & watermelon and this halloumi and mango salsa being my absolute favourites. It’s just the perfect blend of salt, sweetness and acidity for a warm summers day.
This grilled halloumi & mango salsa recipe takes minutes to prepare and tastes so much more than the sum of its parts. It also just looks amazing, full of colour. Literally summer in a bowl!
I tend to serve this as part of a pic n mix summer picnic lunch or just by itself with some fresh bread.
I am not a fan of coriander, at all, so I miss it out. Sometimes I make two versions at the same time, with and without coriander!
The halloumi can be fried in a Trangia camping stove or over a campfire in a griddle pan or Dutch Oven lid.
Griddled Halloumi & Mango Salsa
- 1 block halloumi cheese
- 1 mango
- 1 red pepper
- 1 lime (juice only)
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- fresh coriander (optional)
- Place the lime juice & sugar in a bowl.
- Peel & then chop the mango into small cubes, de-seed the pepper and chop into smaller chunks. Add the mango and pepper to the bowl and coat with the lime/sugar mix.1 mango, 1 red pepper
- Add the optional chilli flakes and chopped fresh coriander and put to one side.1 lime
- Heat the frying pan of the Trangia, with a little oil. Slice the halloumi into thin slices and fry for a couple of minutes on either side.1 block halloumi cheese
- Serve whilst the halloumi is warm, either in seperate bowls or spoon the mango salsa over a stack of the halloumi.